Saturday, April 30, 2011

Retro Obsession

I've been collecting vintage diner china for years, picking it up at rummage sales and thrift stores when I find it. It is a collectible that you can still find at a reasonable price. Why do I collect it? My parents had a restaurant and used Buffalo China dishes there. They were sturdy, made a great sound when they clinked together, and nothing feels better in your hand than a heavy Buffalo China cup filled with steaming coffee on a cold day!

What's interesting is that you can tell how old your piece is by the code on the bottom. For instance this Walker China cup has a code of J-47. This means it was produced in January 1947.
Buffalo China has a unique code of its own, J-12 means that this stack of  small diner plates  was manufactured around December 1949.
I think my favorite marking would have to be the raised buffalo logo mark, which is most likely from the 50's or 60's.