Monday, May 9, 2011

Monkeying Around

Sock monkeys have always had a special place in my husband's heart as well as my own. He had a sock monkey with shiny button eyes as a toddler. This vintage monkey is ours, and is reminiscent of his old monkey pal.

I have a small collection of monkeys that I bring out at Christmas time to set under our tree. I recently stumbled across this cute guy at a garage sale last weekend, he is very well done, has a charming personality and has been loved a lot.....so much so, that he is missing an ear.
Several years ago my sister gave us the book: "Sock Monkeys (200 out of 1863)" by Arne Svenson and Ron Warren. They document, through photography the unique nature of 200 monkeys. Some have outfits and party hats, jingle bells, sewn eyes, button eyes and even glasses. They all have unique personalities, much like the thrifty moms, grandma's and friends that created them out of cotton red heeled work socks.